Already the most power-efficient system solution for virtual imaging devices, eMagin microdisplays based on the company’s new OLED-XL™ technology feature significant improvements in luminance, operational lifetime, and reliability.
The new OLED-XL devices typically feature significantly longer (>4x) luminance half life and exhibit at least twice the nominal luminance. The new technology also improves on eMagin microdisplays’ industry-leading power efficiency, depending on the specific OLED-XL product and operating parameters. microdisplays’ industry-leading power efficiency, depending on the specific OLED-XL product and operating parameters.
For the OLED-XL microdisplays, eMagin scientists developed a more efficient OLED structure while maintaining pixel-level efficiency. The results are brighter microdisplays that require no additional power consumption. Typical power consumption of a full color SVGA+ or SVGA 3D OLED-XL display running 60 Hz video at 60 cd/m2 is less than 250 mW. No heaters or special modes are required to achieve high quality, instant-on video performance at temperature ranges up to -40°C and +65°C, depending on the product selected.
To enable current customers to upgrade more easily in order to take advantage of new structure’s significantly improved power efficiency, eMagin’s first OLED-XL microdisplays use the same electronic IC design and register settings as its field tested standard SVGA+ and SVGA 3D products.
Proven in military, commercial, and consumer systems, eMagin’s OLED microdisplays have delivered high-resolution, flicker-free virtual images, working effectively even in extreme temperatures and high-vibration conditions that stymie legacy technologies. As with its original OLED microdisplays, eMagin builds its OLED-XL products on silicon chips with internal video control electronics, eliminating the need for additional circuit boards. These new OLED-XL microdisplays extend eMagin’s leadership in this critical virtual imaging technology.
OLED XL Advantages
- Increased power efficiency
- No heaters required
- No clearing at high temperature
- Extended luminance lifetime
- Easy integration into designs based on original OLED microdisplays
- Available in full-color, monochrome white, and monochrome green
eMagin’s OLED-XL technology delivers higher luminance and greater power efficiency, extending OLED’s leadership in this critical requirement for mobile imaging.
- Night vision/thermal imaging
- Situation awareness
- Command and control
- Field maintenance and repair
- Instrumentation and test equipment
- Mobile computing systems
- Augmented reality
- Personal entertainment systems
General Operating Characteristics¹
- Formats: SVGA+: 852 (x 3) x 600 pixels | SVGA 3D: 800 (x 3) x 600
- Pixel Aspect Ratio & Pitch: 15 µm squares
- Color Pixel Arrangement: R,G,B vertical stripe | >16.7 million colors
- Viewing Area: SVGA+: 12.78 x 9 mm (0.61 inch diag.) | SVGA 3D: 12 x 9 mm (0.59 inch diag.)
- Display Aspect Ratio: 4:3 or 16:9
- Mechanical Envelope: 19.78 x 15.2 x 5 mm
- Weight: 1.8g
- Color Gamut: >75% of NTSC gamut | Up to 256 gray levels
- Uniformity:>85% (area uniformity as per VESA FPDM Standard)
- Contrast Ratio: >300:1
- Luminance Nominal: 400 cd/m2 (color) | 5500 cd/m2 (green) | 2000 cd/m2 (white)
- Operating Temperatures: SVGA+: -40°C to +65°C (commercial/military) | SVGA 3D: 0°C to +40°C
- Humidity: 85% RH non-condensing
¹ See Datasheet for actual specifications.
- R, G, B Inputs: 0 to 0.7V, compatible with VESA VSIS standard
- Video inputs: SMPTE-170 & PAL (monochrome only)
- Video Signal Bandwidth: 56 MHz maximum (VESA SVGA 85 Hz mode)
- Control & Serial Interface: Digital 3.3V CMOS
- Frame Rate: 30 to 85 Hz
- Logic/Analog Supply (Vdd): 3.3V dc @ 50 mA Max.
- OLED Supply (Van): 4.0V dc (4.6V maximum) @ 50 mA Max.
- OLED Return (Vcommon): -3V dc
- Clock recovery: PLL
- Total Power Dissipation:
Typically <200 [email protected] cd/m2 running movie-like video
395 mW peak (25°C, 60 Hz, All pixels on)
* Data represent performance at 20°C for standard commercial and industrial operation Characteristics will vary with temperature requirements. Low-cost commercial or consumer operating specifications may vary.
OLED XL vs. SVGA+ Chromaticity Diagram
Besides improving on eMagin's industry-leading power efficiency, our new OLED-XL microdisplays offer a broader color gamut as well.
OLED XL vs. SVGA+ Luminance
Does your application need higher brightness? eMagin's OLED-XL technology delivers significantly higher brightness than its award-winning predecessor without drawing more power.
|OLED Revision||Rev. 2|